RSS
Hello, Welcome to The-Ticking-Ticket! Where you get no nonsense, unbiased, honest reviews of your favorite new movies hitting the theaters each week. Check out the archive for your old favorites as well.

Love and other Drugs


                        **1/2    2.5/5
directed by Edward Zwick. Written by Charles Randolph, Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz, based on the book Hard Sell: The Evolution of a Viagra Salesman by Jamie Reidy. Running time: 112 minutes. Rated R.

"Love and other Drugs" has a great premesis. Its set in the 1990s when Viagra became a hit in the pharmasutical industry and made everyone that was accosiated with it filthy rich. Jamie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is one of those guys, charismatic, charming, handsome and can get any girl he wants and sell anything he wants, including Love.  But what happens when he meets a girl that sees right through him and throws him for a loop. Well he ultimately falls in, dare I say it...LOVE! Which is exactly what Maggie (Anne Hathaway) doesn't wasn't. There is a reason for this which might be obvious but I won't spoil it for you. Here is my problem with this film. It is a rom-com yet its so heavy on the drama that it takes away from the fun of watching a rom-com. The actors give great performances, Jake slips in to this role easily and Hathaway is  raw and intense. she is even nude in several scenes, in fact there is a lot of nudity and sex in this film. . Edward Zwick is an extraordinary director and his full potential is realized in one single scene where they show a convention of people with Parkinson's disease and how they deal with it.  It almost felt like I was watching two different films and I was given the task to somehow merge them together in my head.(I didn't succeed). There are a lot of funny bits in this film most of it offered up by Josh, (Josh Gad) Jamie's screwball younger brother. ( who reminds me of a level B Jonah Hill.) There is enough in this movie to like the film but there are better movies out there to see. So if you're really a huge fan of Gyllenhaal or Hataway go see it, otherwise just wait for the DVD.

2 comments:

Saadia S Shamsie said...

I agree!! The movie was ok, it had a great subject but I didn't enjoy the overall execution so much. Hathaway and Gyllenhal entertained me and I thought both were wonderful. But not enough to recommend the movie to anyone. Gotta say though, Jake is hot! =o)

Kalel said...

ya he is, I think he made it right after 'Prince of Persia' lol gopes was droooling, haha

 
Copyright 2009 THE-TICKING-TICKET. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates