directed by David Yates. Screenplay by Steve Kloves, based on the novel by J.K. Rowling. Running time: 146 minutes. PG-13
From the beginning I have been a fan of the movies. I never had the interest to pick up a Harry Potter book. Ok Ok, I’m lying I did read “The Goblet of Fire” and enjoyed it very much, but the first movie is what really got me hooked to J.K. Rowling’s magical world. “The Deathly Hallows Part one” is certainly a departure from the rest of the series and is a breath of fresh air. Even though I loved the Quidditch matches, and the fun times at Hogwarts, I honestly did not miss it watching this film.
Yes, they are grown up and the film itself is quite dark but there is room for some wonderful special effect sequences and comedic moments that aren’t forced and arise from the situation. I love how each character has evolved and in this one the actors really have to dig deeper to convey their emotions. The acting is definitely better in this than any other Potter film, and the clear stand out for me was Emma Watson. I think artistically she was always the underdog when it came to acting. For me she really did steal the show in this one. The pacing of the film becomes a bit slow in the second act but it’s never boring. The characters struggles amongst each other are quite fun to watch. David Yates has really captured the spirit of Harry Potter and the urgency it needed before it reaches its spectacular conclusion. We will have to wait til July 2011 for that, but for now the first part will have to do. Another wonderful extra to this film is a fantastically animated sequence explaining the story of “The Deathly Hallows”. It was a real treat!
This is not only one of the best Potter films but in my opinion is one of the best films of the year. If there was ever a Potter film that would be considered for an Academy Award or at least a Golden Globe, this would be it. I remember back in 2003, when “Return of the King” hit theaters and watching it there was a sense of conclusion, an “epic-ness” of something great coming to an end. It was felt throughout the audience. I felt much of the same vibe watching “The Deathly Hallows”. I love this movie, it is my favorite of the series and I hope part two is just as good if not better. Go see it!








4 comments:
I have read all the books and I enjoyed this movie because it stayed in line with the book. My one complaint about movie is that I feel like it just stopped. I would have liked it more if it ended at a different place. I understand that it is part 1 or 2 but I don't feel like it could be a stand alone movie. Not having read the book, did you have any complaints about the storyline and the ending of part 1?
www.gardenofbooks.blogspot.com
Your comment about Return of the King is interesting. In recent years we have seen more mainstream films get recognition by the Academy. Avatar definitely springs to mind.
I will be seeing The Deathly Hallows next week so have no comment on whether it deserves recognition at this time but just based on the apparent open-mindedness of the Academy I would not be shocked.
I am not really a Potter fan but am a sucker for movies made on this scale!
FANTASTIC FILM!! I saw it three times, better with each viewing!
NO I have no complaints about how it ended, I guess for the fans who have read the book, yes I can definitely see that they would want more , or wish they included some more scenes. As a fan of just the films I thought it was fantastic the way it was. Had I read the book maybe I would have a different opinion.
Post a Comment