THE TOWN 4/5 ****
'Get outta Town"... no really! thats what Ben Affleck's character tries to do in the movie. The Town is Charlestown, Boston Massachusetts, which is apparently the robbery capital of the US. A group of four friends who have been dealt with some bad cards and are fighting their demons from past go through life and the daily grind the best way they know how, work, bar, girls, prison and oh ya robbing banks and armored trucks. The situation gets sticky when Affleck's character Doug MacRay falls for one of the victims of their own robbery, Claire, played by "Vicky Christina Barcelona's" Rebecca Hall. This is Ben Affleck's Second directorial effort after "Gone Baby Gone" and its a classic cops and robber crime drama. His acting and directing are equally awesome! "The Hurt Lockers" Jeremy Renner is fantastic as his childhood friend partner in crime James. Jon Hamm and Rebecca do a commendable job in their respective roles. Gossip Girl's Blake lively gives a surprisingly fine tuned performance. I don't know if this film is good enough for the Oscars but if there are'nt any better films coming out this will definitely be in the running. The heart and soul of the film is definitely Ben Affleck. He has crafted a great film and his performance is his best in years. I can't wait to see what Affleck does in the future, he has potential to be one of the greats. "The Town" is a classic crime drama that won't disappoint. This is one of the year's best films so far, check it out!
THE EXPENDABLES 3.5/5 ***1/2
"Red Scorpion" starring Dolph Lundgren was the first movie I saw in the theater when I moved to the States back in the late 80's. My dad took me. Through the years my dad and I became fans of Stallone, Li, Schwarzenegger, Willis and the rest of the gang. So it would only be fitting to take my dad to see " The Expendables", a mantastic, rock em sock em action film written and directed by none other the Stallone himself. Only he could've bought so many action stars from today and yester-years together in one film. I went in not expecting much, but both of us enjoyed it very much, it had a decent story line, some funny moments and some real, non CG explosions and effects. One of my favorite scenes was with Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis. It had the whole audience clapping. The expendables is a Nostalgic action ride that doesn't disappoint. I think a whole new generation will get a glimpse of what action movies back in the 80's and 90's were all about. After being dragged to see "Twilight", guys its your turn to drag your girls out and see "The Expendables".
DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS 4/5 ****
This movie is one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a long time. Steve Carell plays his character so perfectly, that you can't imagine anyone else playing this guy. Right from the credits you get a sense that this is going to be a wild fun movie but with a heart. The film is so crazy but is handled really well by director Jay Roach, whose last big hit was "Borat". Yes the climax with the dinner scene turns in to slapstick comedy but the message is clear of who really are the Idiots of the party. This film is all about the supporting actors, Zach Galifianakis is sinister and kooky and Jemaine Clements almost steals the show as a narcissistic yet spiritual artist. New comer Stephanie Szostak is a breath of fresh air. Its nice to see unknown talent given roles that could have easily gone to a well know A-lister. Almost forgot Lucy Punch as the ex-girlfriend from hell. she is hideously fantastic. All the roles are perfectly cast and the comedy is out of this world. This is the best comedy of the summer by far, a must see!
SALT 3/5 ***
Angeline Jolie is Evelyn Salt, a CIA agent who accused of being a Russian spy. Liev Schreiber plays her partner who is on her side and Chiwetel Ejiofor has doubts about her loyalty. The entire film she is on the run from both of them. All the decisions she makes will keep you guessing, is she good or bad? Who really is "Salt". Phillip Noyce (Rabbit Proof Fence) directs a wonderfully absurd yet suspenseful film. Even though there are many plot holes and crazy moments the ending is something I didn't see coming. Her character does things that are wildly dangerous and she escapes with a few minor scratches, its quite amazing. I can't give away too much but Jolie looks sexier and agile then ever, her enigmatic performance is what really drives the suspense. Its definitely worth a watch!
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE 3.5/5 ***1/2
For a guy who is not a fan of the books and was dragged along for the first two movies only to leave unsatisfied. I must say this third installment of "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" left a very good taste in my mouth and it wasn't blood. I actually enjoyed the film from start to finish and cared about these characters. I haven't read the books but it seems that with this one they finally got it right. The acting is so much better and the story is paced just right. The film looks beautiful and the special effects are impressive. We also finally learn about some of the supporting characters and what their history was. The scenes with Jacob and Edward are handled with care and are fun to watch. I get it now! The film delves deeper into Belles struggle to not only choose between the Wolf and the Vamp but to find her own identity. One other thing that the audience might not give credit to, is the music. The score this time is done by none other then "Lord of the Rings" helm-er Howard Shore, and it really captures the characters emotions. In fact the final scene in the film has a few thematic notes from LOTR. Its true its not only the best of the 3 films so far its one of this Summer's better films. Dare I say, I am looking forward to the final chapter. Go Jacob!!! I mean.....uh, where my axe, I'm need to go chop some wood. ;)
PRINCE OF PERSIA 3/4 ***
with its gorgeous visuals, two beautiful leads and an epic story line, "Prince of Persia" Sands of Time is a beautiful piece of film making by the "HP: Goblet of Fire" Director Mike Newell. Adapted from Jordan Mechner's video game, the film follows the games story line about the "sands of time" ,but more importantly fans will miss the parkour style action that was such a huge part of the series. From the trailer one can assume that their will be a lot jumping and leaping around but I was ultimately disappointed. David Belle (the grandmaster of Parkour) was Gyllenhaal's stunt double and his talents were wasted, there was no "Woah" moment in the entire film. The two leads do a commendable job. Gyllenhaal fits the part of a prince warrior well, just not the prince from the video game. Every time he is referred to as "Persian" in the movie, it is just not believable. I guess they needed some star power to sell the movie rather then casting an ethnic unknown. Gemma Arterton is truly a Gem and really shows some emotional depth in this film. However the clear scene stealer is Alfred Molina, he gives the film a much needed comic relief. Over all the film is satisfying, better than this summers "Clash of the Titans" (which also featured Gemma). The story line is straight forward, not much thinking to do here, and has a good ending. Its not a must see, but check it out if your not dying to see some other film. (oh one more things, the film has an Orange red tint through out, which I could not figure out why. Maybe to make the leads look more Persian or just give the film a different look, but it just doesn't work. Ben Kingsley literally looked red, like a devil )
KITES 3.5/5 ***1/2
J and Linda are two fugitives on the run, one doesn't speak English the other doesn't understand Spanish, yet somehow they find their way across the Mexican dessert and manage to fall head over heals in love with each other. The funny thing is, the whole situation actually works, and it works really well. The intimate scenes are handle with care by Director Anurag Basu, its a very impressive international debut for him. The other plus to this movie is Hrithik and Babara's controlled performances and chemistry. It is undeniable that these two were meant to be together, and you believe it. In the hands of lessor actors this film would've gone south really quick, but you're glued to the screen watching these two love birds flirt, sing, dance, fight and fall in love. The cinematography and editing is well done and the stunts are over the top but well executed. There is actually a scene where they escape the police by jumping out of a moving car on to a hot air balloon. Hrithik is in top for here, with his physic, dancing and acting. Even if his films don't do well, Hrithik gives it 110% every time, and that's what I admire about the guy. Barbara Mori is cute, sensual and authentic, she holds her own against Hrithik. The side story line with the Vegas Indian Mafia is a bit too much and I really wish they had come up with a different concept, but its nice to see Hrithik trying different things. I still think Bollywood only holds him back, he needs to be unleashed in to Hollywood and hopefully "Kites" is a stepping stone towards that. Its a fun summer movie with really good music and romance, I think you'll like it, give it a go!
CLASH OF THE TITANS 3/5 ***
“Clash of the Titans” was one of the coolest movies I saw when first came to the States along with “The Never-ending Story” and “Willow” some 20 odd years ago. I loved the terrifying Harryhausen special effects in the old film. “Calibos” even more than the Kraken or Medusa gave me nightmares for days. There was a certain nostalgic cheesiness to the movie, and it captured the Greek world beautifully. The Updated Sam Worthington starrer is full of awesome special effects and epic sequences, yet it’s not any better than the older one and lacks charm. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy it, but if a remake is being made why not out due the first one in some way other than just special effects. Liam Neeson makes a perfect “Zeus” but I can’t say much for Ralph Fiennes as “Hades”. He pretty much regurgitates his “Voldemort” incarnation. “Calibos” played by the wonderful Jason Flyming is not nearly as frightening as the old one and the music is forgettable. There are some cheesy funny moments from the supporting actors and Sam Worthington keeps this film afloat. In the hands of a lesser actor this film would have gone down the tubes. I heard the 3D was just a gimmick; it wasn’t initially made for 3D viewing, so I saw it in 2D, I’m glad I did. It’s a fun time at the movies, don’t go with any expectations and you’ll be fine, and skip the 3D, it’s not worth it. For me I think I’m gonna re watch the 1981 classic with all its “creepy stop motion special effects” and “Harry Hamlin’s shimmering pecks” glory!
GREEN ZONE 2/5 *****
"Green Zone" shows the Americans not as heroes but people that will do anything to cover up their mistakes, even if that means misleading its own people and or even killing. It is not our war or our place to decide what happens in Iraq, as one of the character passionately exclaims. Even though it shows a different angle on the war, its just too jumbled and doesn't know what direction it wants to go. I was highly anticipating this Damon-Greengrass collaboration again, but its ultimately a dud. you can skip this, just rent "The Hurt Locker" if you really want to get your war movie fix.
SHUTTER ISLAND 4/5 ****
I don’t know what to say about this film. I am at a loss of words. Scorsese has Crafted a top notch thriller. It is an intelligent psycho drama that will satisfy you in a way most thrillers don’t. You will only jump back into your seat once or twice, but most of the time you will be on the edge. Yes the ending is a bit predictable, but what I am raving about is the journey Scorsese takes us on. The audience is second guessing every five minutes. I went with my two cousins and all three of us had different reactions to it. One didn’t really like it, the other said it was a really good movie and I was clawing my hands to my face yelling “that was freakin’ awesome.” I really like that there is a mixed feeling about this movie. Psychologically its very stimulation.
I will not talk about the story you can read it in any synopsis but I will tell you is don’t try to put the pieces together and dismiss it. If you just watch the movie, really listen you won’t have to and you’ll enjoy the ride. Artistically, its one of the best thrillers I’ve seen in a long time, with performances that are Oscar worthy. Leonardo DiCaprio is stepping up his game with each film he does. Give this guy an Oscar already! The supporting cast, even the actors playing the patients who have one of two scenes… are excellent! If you can take me on a fantastic journey while watching the movie I will forgive you if the ending is not up to par. I’m not saying its bad, some people might love the ending, I personally would have thrown another curve ball.
If you let it in, if you really let the film get to you, it can mess you up for a bit. Go see it and then have a ball discussing it with your friends. As Scorsese would say, I love this “picture”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








0 comments:
Post a Comment