**** 4 out of 5
directed by Kenneth Branagh. Screenplay by
Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz. Running time: 114 minutes. PG-13
Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz. Running time: 114 minutes. PG-13
When I first learned about the film adaptation of the Norse mythical god “Thor,” I was very skeptical. How were they going to do any justice to this film for a modern audience, without making it look “cheesy.” It was when I found out that Kenneth Branagh wanted to direct the film, then I became very interested. I can see why he was drawn to it; the story itself is very Shakespearean. You have the egotistical hero, who must learn to become humble and worthy of his power. There’s the neglected younger brother who wants to be appreciated by his father, King Odin. Last but not least, throw in beautiful special effects and the equally beautiful Natalie Portman, and I..am… in. “Thor” is not only a great film, but one of the best superhero films…right under “The Dark Knight” and “Iron Man”. The world of Asgard has elegance and beauty, which offers great contrast to the dry and dusty New Mexico where much of the film takes place. The Narrative flows swiftly, and there’s never a dull moment. Although some of the dialogue is “mock hero” and can get a bit silly, it’s justified given the film’s premise. Chris Hemsworth makes an Impressive “Thor,” and Natalie Portman is wonderful as his love interest. Kad Dennings offers much of the comic relief, and Anthony Hopkins makes a commanding King. Tom Hiddleston’s performance as Loki is what stood out for me. Hiddleston is manipulative and menacing, and injects his performance with fierce intensity. “Thor” is a film that seems like it wouldn’t work, but it does! It’s surprisingly likable and very entertaining. Go see it!








0 comments:
Post a Comment